Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Spruill Green Market

I've been reading for the last year or so about CSAs, Community Supported Agriculture, where you own a 'share' in a farm and the produce they grow. Typically you get a weekly box of food from the farm for a fee, around $20-$30. I looked around last year, but it was at the end of the season and none of the CSAs were really convienent to us. I located one near Perimeter Mall, where I work, but we were unable to get involved. However, we did sign up for a newsletter and because it is currently 'peak of the season' they have extra boxes right now, so I picked up our first box from Spruill Green Market, which is located at the Spruill Gallery. For $25, we have a box full of tomatoes (cherry, beefsteak, and heirloom), squash and zuchinni, beans, and peppers. I am so excited to try our produce and I love the fact that we're supporting a local farm. They also had eggs available (chicken and duck) that I'd love to try. There were several vendors set up and they all had beautiful produce. It's such a great idea to buy locally and it seems to be getting easier to do that.

Hopefully we'll be making some great recipes in the next few days with our fresh veggies! I'll be sure to share...

No comments: